My Blog List

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

the fall of the family values guys

Today was a good day for people who enjoy reading about politicians, who fall from their crooked pedestal. A family values guy, a very conservative republican from Indiana, just resigned from congress because he was caught having an affair with a staffer, who looks half his age and is also a third of his weight, at least below the chin area.

Yup, being a family values person and a homophobe is beginning to look like a serious liability.

I mean, the moment a guy starts preaching about family values and the sinful gays, we should immediately start looking in his closet. I think interesting things will be found there. But this is not the point I want to make. And I also don't want to talk about hypocrisy because it is stating the obvious.

What I want to talk about is this part of this guy's statement: "I sinned against God, my wife and my family by having a mutual relationship with a part-time member of my staff... My comfort is that God is a gracious and forgiving God to those who sincerely seek his forgiveness as I do. "

There are some interesting points to be made here:

1. Why state "a mutual relationship" and not just "a relationship?" Is he insinuating that she wanted him as well? That this hot chick who is younger and prettier and definitely thinner was totally into him in a mutual way? Man, isn't that a satisfying thought.

2. A part-time member? Wouldn't a "member of my staff" be sufficient to describe the situation? Or does mentioning that she was a part-time member makes the affair a little less of an offense because she was not a full-timer? Beats me.

3. Sinning against God who immediately forgives you if you really mean it. How convenient it is to decide that God forgives you because you want him to forgive you, but never consider the one who has not forgiven yet - the wife! Can she forgive as quickly as God or does it really matter for the true family values guy?

Lastly, may I live to see the day when a woman, conservative or not, who is far past her prime time (like this republican guy) a mother of three and a grandmother of two (like this republican guy) confesses to a bunch of journalists that she had an affair with a guy half her age and a third of her weight, and then asks God to forgive her.

Pe-leeeze

I doubt this would happened without His intervention in the first place.

And you know what? This conservative sinner is in the same boat with the woman I am hoping to meet one day. Because without divine intervention, I doubt this young (and silly) part-time staffer would have given him a second look. So he should thank God rather than ask for his forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment